Concrete is extremely strong and hard — no wonder it’s used for roads and drives! As a flooring material, it’s all the strength and durability of a street. You can not scrape or dent a concrete flooring.
As with all flooring materials concrete has various advantages that installers and salesmen will correct when attempting to promote their product. However, there are also a number of drawbacks to using this in some specific areas. That’s why it is important to comprehend the good and the bad, before choosing to strip out other floors and proceed with treated or bare concrete in a certain location.
Pros Polished Concrete Floors
- Long Last -A maintained concrete flooring can last and correctly sealed. Even it may survive under high traffic conditions for a long time to come. This saves you cash while preventing the hassle of having to get new flooring installed periodically.
- Design options – concrete floors have moved from ho-hum to luxurious. Dyes added as the wet concrete has been blended generates concrete in a range of colours. Surface treatments such as acid stainsstains and paint made for floors turn plain concrete to lovely, one-of-a-kind finishes. Concrete could be stamped with rubber stencils to give it feel. Combined with the right dyes or coloring agents, completed concrete could also be made to mimic ceramic tile, natural stone, brick!
- Easy to Maintain – Maintaining a floor looking its best will only require a minimum quantity of maintenance. It will have to be sealed or waxed every 3-8 months based on the degree of visitors so as to keep the protective layer. Other than that you can use a cleaning agent to wash the floor clean occasionally. A utility pad may be used for stains.
- Environmentally Friendly – In the majority of cases, a concrete subfloor currently exists under a different flooring substance in standard and below grade locations.That means that installing a concrete flooring is in fact just uninstalling anything that’s been placed over it. Because no new material is produced, there is no carbon footprint or degradation of resources.
- Depending on the level of complexity, polished concrete flooring can cost as little as $2 a square foot or as much as $30 a square foot. Most installations are rather cost-effective, especially if you have an existing concrete slab that’s all ready for staining, polishing or application of a decorative coating or overlay. The cost savings does not always come at installation, but within its life since the only reason you are going to have to replace it’s if you become tired of this look, especially if you factor in maintenance expenses.
Also read to :
Cons Polished Concrete Floors
- One of the disadvantages of this type of flooring is that they are not able to retain warmth in a fantastic manner. Now, this can be the big issue if you are residing in a place that is cold, this can be a critical issue. During cold days, these flooring won’t keep heat and will be quite cold to walk upon just like ceramic tile and natural stone. But to solve this matter, you can install radiant heating wires on your floor for diminishing heat loss.
- The strength and endurance of the material may also be a liability. If you trip and fall on one then you’re most likely going to hurt your self. Items dropped on those surfaces will also be more likely to crack or shatter. That’s why these floors aren’t recommended for areas that are frequented by children or older men and women.
- If the installation, sealing and finishing or polished concrete floors is not done in proper fashion then it will have moisture and penetration issues. If liquid finds its way into the pores of concrete then it is likely to make its home there and create mold and mildew there. If you’re experiencing a reputed installer installing your floors, then you may be free about this worry.
- Polished concrete floors can be loud like ceramic tile, natural stone floors, and some bamboo or laminate flooring. To reduce the noise, it is possible to supply the distance with rugs, heavy drapes, acoustic wall panels and other elements that absorb or block sound.
- If not correctly sealed on both upper and bottom surfaces, concrete will be quite prone to penetration by moisture. In certain environments, you’ll also have to be worried about the moisture freezing, that can make it expand and crack the floor chimney through its center.
- Cracking: expertly concrete may develop cracks over time. That is because the large expanse of a slab must withstand changes in settling, moisture and temperature. Colored cement patching and paste materials help disguise cracks.